Spirit in the Community is a brand new part of Spirit in Sport. Having a sports facility with substantial space in the community of Somerstown has enabled us to become involved in the community and find out about the challenges local people face.
Spirit in the Community is committed to helping those most at need in their community to overcome disadvantage and exclusion through projects that have an impact on their lives.
Spirit in the Community is a Christian faith-based organisation that serves people of all faiths and none. It is committed to action to make a positive difference in the community through local services and practical acts of kindness.
Spirit in the Community aims to work with other key partners in the community to complement or enhance existing services or respond to needs where there are gaps.
Spirit in the Community serves:
- Families that need support
- Children and young people living in poverty
- People in the community who are isolated
- People without hope
- People who want to get into health and fitness activities
Types of projects and services provided:
- Morning café
- Free use of fitness room
- Knitting and sewing club
- Conversation classes for those who don’t have English as a first language
- School holiday lunch club for children (free for children on free school meals)
- Befriending service for isolated older people