Spirit in Sport (SiS) is a not-for-profit community sports organisation which operates from the premises of Immanuel Baptist Church in Somerstown, Southsea. It aims to bring together people of all ages and abilities to have fun, make friends, and keep fit and healthy through a wide range of physical activities.
The Christian faith is the cornerstone of Spirit in Sport and Spirit in the Community
It spurs us on and motivates the leadership team to do its best in everything it does. We believe that every human being is loved and valued by God. Putting our faith into action means working alongside the members of the local community to meet their needs and support them in achieving their potential whether that be through sport, community activities, befriending…
SiS believes that everyone can find a sports activity they can enjoy and that taking time to explore sporting values such as teamwork, perseverance and commitment ultimately improves the life of not just the individual but also the whole community.
SiS is run primarily by a team of dedicated volunteers and prides itself on using qualified Sports Coaches to deliver quality sports sessions and fun activities. Spirit in Sport is accountable to a board of trustees.
SiS Makes Sport Accessible by:
- Using indoor and outdoor spaces across Portsmouth and Southsea
- Arranging sessions that take place at times people want including bank holidays and Saturday mornings
- Keeping participation costs low with many activities donation–led based on what participants can afford
- Actively encouraging everyone to get involved and to come back for more
SiS activities succeed in encouraging a broad range of people to keep fit and healthy including new mums, students, children with behavioural difficulties and young men. In the last year, over 1000 people have participated in our programme of activities.
SiS Activities Offered:
- Children’s holiday sports, crafts and cooking camps
- Family activity sessions
- After-school clubs
- Men’s football tournaments
- Cricket leagues
- Keep fit
- Table tennis